Justin and I are in the process of seeking to adopt a baby. The next several months we have a lot of work to be done before everything is finalized and we're actually able to be matched to a potential birth mom. The two big things that we're doing right now are attending classes, every Thursday in Lakeland from 6pm-9pm (which also includes one Saturday class). This past Thursday was our first class to attend (besides the orientation class we already attended) and much to my surprise it was actually very enjoyable and a lot of fun. When I first heard we had to take a 30-hour class I thought, "Three hours??"...but the time goes by so quickly it doesn't even seem that long at all. There are 9 other couples in our class...and a little more than half are actually in there seeking to be foster parents. Our teacher, who is also our caseworker, keeps things interesting with stories, interaction and fun activities. Besides the fact that I'm looking forward to Thursday as a "mini date night" with Justin, the classes are definitely something that we will not only benefit from individually, but we'll also grow together as a couple as we seek to provide the best home for Emilee and our future little one. Along with our class we will have "homework" to do every week which mostly consists of different scenarios and how we would handle those situations individually and as a couple. Along with this weeks homework includes our "Family Profile" which consists of at least 3-4 hours worth of questions ranging from everything to our childhood and growing up, how we currently parent and discipline our child, to questions to our marriage and how we communicate and get along as a family. You name it, it's a question that is probably being asked. But it's definitely something that will be worth all the hours we will be putting into all of this.
The second thing we're currently working on is our "Adoption Profile Scrapbook" which is composed of pictures of our family which will include several family pictures, different activities we like to do, pictures of our parents and siblings, a few pictures of Justin and I growing up as well as a few pictures from our wedding. This scrapbook will be shown to potential birth moms who then decide if they're "interested" in knowing more about our family and will then set up and interview process with us and if she likes us and feels comfortable with us then we go from there and form a plan as far as if we'll be in the delivery room when she gives birth and many other important details which go into the "birthing" plan.
All in all, we're super excited. We have a long journey ahead of us...we're not completely sure what all this journey is going to hold as far as bumps we may hit in the road but one things for sure...at the end of the road will be the perfect baby that God has intended for our family. We're already praying for this child and this birthmom...I don't have any clue what this baby is going to look like, or when he/she is going to be born but what I do know is that God is already forming him/her and making this child perfect for our family.
Sunday, October 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love you soooo much, Summer! I deactivated my facebook last week (just temporarily), and was going to text you soon to get an update. So glad I can read it here! Praying for y'all!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited to read all about the journey!
ReplyDeleteThank you ladies! I really hope to keep this updated weekly so check back regularly...and thank you for the prayers...they're definitely needed and felt! :)
ReplyDelete